Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's Always Free Bird! Don't You Know That?

Helpful Hint for Trivia Game Players... If you ever get a trivia question about a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, unless you know for sure the answer is another song, you should always, ALWAYS guess “Free Bird”. That’s just common sense. It could mean the difference between Bruce Springsteen tickets and a bumper sticker. And, that’s a huge difference.

What Trademarks?... Did you know that the name Super Bowl is trademarked and can’t be used in commercials other than those specifically about the game by the NFL (also trademarked)? Other companies and even radio contests have to use euphemisms like “The Big Game” instead of Super Bowl. Apparently they’re really strict about it too. I mean, I know people know when it’s going to be on (because how could you NOT??), but it seems like the NFL would be a little more lenient because it’s like free advertising. Whatever! People are such tighty-heineys!

I Could Have Used This Information About 20 Years Ago... Have you ever heard about this whistle that used to come in Cap’n Crunch cereal back in the day whose sound could be used to bypass phone billing systems and allowed people to make free long distance calls? Why didn’t I know about this when I was in college and making expensive phone calls to my boyfriend at MCV?? We limited ourselves to one 1-hour phone call a week because long distance was so expensive back then, and we each alternated weeks on top of that! Can you imagine? On top of that, it was before e-mail too, so we sent each other hand-written letters everyday. For 1 ½ years!! Of course if there had been e-mail, there would have been a search engine and I would have been able to find out about the Cap’n Crunch whistle! And, to be honest, we probably would have broken up a lot earlier!!

Sing Me A Song, You're the Guitar Man... I am totally in love with that song “Come On Get Higher” by Matt Nathanson. I made a Pandora station for him, and turns out I love almost every song of his. Where has this guy been and why isn’t he bigger?? Very acoustic-y, songwriter-y songs. I think I’ll be doing a bunch of downloading this weekend. Side note: Pandora is AWE-SOME!!!!!!

The Streets Have Eyes... There’s a new sign at the entrance of my community. It says something like there are surveillance cameras in my neighborhood. I missed THAT newsletter! I’m all for safety, but WOW! Now I’m all nervous about walking out to my mailbox to get my mail without a bra on! Like some footage will end up on oldjigglybreasts.com. I’ll have to remember to close my blinds at certain times too! It’s like Big Brother up in that place. (P.S. I have no idea if that's a real site, I just made it up. So, if you go looking for it, well, that's all on you!)

9 comments:

Heather said...

When I was in high school, our senior class song was Free Bird. No lie. And they played it at EVERY dang senior event. Live. And the guy playing the guitar relished each one of those 7 minute guitar solos. I was so sick of that song by the time I graduated.
And I'll have to check out Matt Nathanson. I love acoustic singer/songwriters. :)

Anonymous said...

I hafta admit, I think that's awesome you're being monitored. Besides you COULD shake it up a little and not wear a bra on purpose! Give the security something to talk about. You know, do 'em a favor LOL :)

Rachel Cotterill said...

I only heard of Pandora for the first (and, now, second) time today. I was disappointed to find that they don't do the UK yet...

Diane said...

I'm totally getting my video-watcher fixed on this computer... just in case...

Anonymous said...

That's creepy with the cameras but then the additional safety is a darn good thing!

Letter writing...I'd spend a whole afternoon doing that every couple of weeks. I actually kind of miss that art.

Jenners said...

You are so funny.

Is the "Free Bird" prize downgrade something that actually happened to you or did you hear it on the radio?

I don't understand how a whistle can bypass the long distance charges. But I'm a moron like that. And my God...it must have been love to write letters like that. I wouldn't do that for anyone ... hand cramps, you know.

I hope they don't have cameras in my neighborhood that I don't know about ... I'm always running out to the mailbox in my pajamas thinking no one is seeing me. I'm sure I'm wrong as our mutual friend Heather recently learned! The neighbors ARE watching!

Zuzana said...

I am so with you on the hidden cameras! I want to retain my privacy.
I have to check out the "Pandora" link, I am always looking for new music.;)

Zuzana said...

Bummer, I am not allowed into Pandora as I am not living the US. No well, I just take your word for it then.;))

Heather's M said...

oldjigglybreast.com? that's the funniest thing I heard lately. I'm sure that I'd be one of their feature stories...