Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What Repairmen Should Not Say to Me In the Future

I got nothing! I mean NO THING to write about. I’ve been staring at a blank screen for days now trying to muster up something. There’s just nothing there. I said I was back in Blogland, but I have nothing to contribute. I hope I don’t get kicked out.

Let’s see…Well, my air conditioner broke twice this summer. Yeah, that’s not expensive at all! It made me long for the days of living in an apartment, when all I had to do is call the rental office and they’d send someone over. Now I have to deal with actual repairmen myself.

Oh! So, this is kind of interesting…

The first time the AC went out, I called the repairman. After he tested the system, we discussed what repairs would have to be made. I was making arrangements to pay so I could go on to work while my sister hung around the house until he was done fixing everything. She was standing in the kitchen eating a bowl of cereal, and as she was busy looking for a job online then and working on her scrapbooking designs, she asked him if he’d have to turn off the power to the house because she’d need to save her work first. He laughed and said, “No, but if you hear me scream and then the power suddenly goes off, be sure to call 9-1-1.”

My sister and I just looked at each other, she with a spoonful of cereal halfway to her mouth and all the blood draining from her face. The repairman could see that something was up, so he tentatively asked, “Did I say something wrong?” See…when my sister was 13, she watched as our grandfather was being electrocuted to death, unable to do anything to help him. He was trying to rescue a man who was installing central air in PaPa’s house and who had apparently touched a live wire and was being electrocuted himself.

Electrocution jokes about air conditioning? Pretty much the worst joke you could make around us and especially her. So, yeah… He felt soooo bad! I tried to joke with him to make him feel better. I teased him about going back to the office and saying, “Okay, so you know that joke I always make with people about turning off the power to their house before I start working? ...”

Poor guy!

2 comments:

Zuzana said...

Oh no, I am so sorry for your sister and your grandfather.:( That must have been a truly traumatic experience. That is so awful.:(

I have a quiet the opposite problem; my heating in the bathroom is broken and I need to call a repairman too. I hate when the bathroom is cold.;)

Diane said...

That reminds of me of when Ryan was 4 and she told the bagger at the grocery store that her dog died on her birthday. The poor kid was mortified and didn't know what to say. She was very matter-of-fact about it but it was still an uncomfortable moment :)